Alternative Response Officer (ARO) Special Constables
CURRENTLY Accepting Applications
As an Alternative Response Officer, you have a unique role in the provision of public safety services in our city by providing investigative and enforcement support to police officers. One day you may find yourself walking the beat and facilitating outreach and referrals for vulnerable persons, and the next day, you may be guarding a crime scene or transporting arrested persons.
Direct Service Delivery
- Walking the beat, facilitating outreach and referral for vulnerable persons and enforcing infractions under provincial and municipal legislation
- Meeting with human service agency and civic workers
- Meeting with community members and business owners
- Participating in parades, ceremonies and public events
- Assisting units with traffic-related events and escorts
- Transporting arrested persons
- Providing assistance in Detention and at the Headquarters Service Centre
- Taking complaints from citizens and writing police reports
- Retrieving physical and imagery evidence from citizens/locations
- Guarding crime scenes, vehicles and people
Salary: ~$91,000 after five years.
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Bachelor of Social Work, Human Justice, or Arts with a focus in human studies; or a grade 12 or GED
- Must pass the POPAT with a minimum time of 4:45
Must be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant or have permanent residency for a period of 3 years.
- Valid, unrestricted class 5 driver’s license
- No criminal convictions for which a Pardon has not been granted
- No recent illicit drug use
- No medical restrictions that would hinder ability to perform ARO duties
- Satisfactory employment record